Sunday 1 October 2017

DECISIONS, DECISIONS...



As a third year, it's officially time to start thinking about the future in the real world (gulps). It's a thought which both excites me and terrifies me but nonetheless it's something which I really need to start mapping out now...

Luckily for me, I've known that my future is in writing and journalism since I was 15 years old, almost 6 years ago now (my 21st birthday is this coming December, the 6th to be precise, make a note in your diaries) But now, here I am having to actually think about putting that dream into reality and at the same time, questioning whether it's really what I want to do for the rest of my life and if it is, isn't a bit of a gamble to make it all a reality at such a young age?

I don't know why, but these types of decisions feel so final and fixed to me and it makes me feel like I'm signing my life away to some kind of unbreakable contract where that's it, I'm going to be a journalist for the rest of my life. For the first time in my life, it's starting to feel as if my freedom to make choices is being compromised and that's truly terrifying. During school, you could always put off decisions like this until next term or even the next academic year. But this is it now. My three years of study at university are in fact coming to an end and I have to really start mapping out the rest of my life, or at least the decisions which will frame it. 

But the reality of course, is that signing up to do a masters, or a journalism course or getting a job straight after uni doesn't mean you're signing your life away to anything. It simply means that you're giving something a go and seeing if it's for you or not and there's nothing scary at all about that! 

This is what the 20s are for. It's possibly the only time in our lives where we can afford to make huge u-turns in our life and the decisions which frame them. If an unexpected opportunity comes along, going with it could very well turn out to be the best decision you ever made. 

This whole 'adulting' malarkey is scary, but I feel utterly blessed to have so many different options available to me for my future. For me personally, I'm currently researching into a whole host of masters courses, journalism courses and internships (some are even in New York, eek!) because there is absolutely nothing wrong in keeping your options open and exploring other paths. 

Antonia x 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Antonia Writes. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig