Thursday 16 August 2018

POEM- POLITICAL INCARNATION



I've always loved writing poetry. To me, poems are like thoughts that breathe and I can think of no greater power than that. I've never actually shared any of the poetry I write with anybody else, not even my family. But it's something that, quite spontaneously, I've decided to start sharing on my blog. 

I wrote Political Incarnation based on a story in the news  this week which has greatly angered me, the context to which has, of course, been bubbling under the surface for many years now. I hope you enjoy. 


Polls in the field and conduct a few surveys,
When all we’re really doing is building
walls and burning bridges,
Hard Brexit, Soft Brexit, Quick Brexit, Slow Brexit,
The never-ending Brexit.

Bunch of loonie lefties, the tax dodging billionaires cry, but secretly they’re terrified,
Tribes of leave and remain, rebels then loyalists,
on and on it goes,
At loggerheads in a warring cabinet,

All this bickering is making me simply exhausted, I think I’ll have a
cup of tea? Cup of tea? Would you like a cup of tea?
There, there, that’s better, we’ll say no more about it,
As I ruffle my windswept peroxide mop,
I’m a man of the people and don’t you forget it,
Don’t you forget the ways in which my bumbling hapless persona
is a clever ruse to conceal my more sinister motives,
Of greed, of power, of separation and divide,
Of my sinister ties to the alternative-right,
Of getting to the top of our ongoing culture war,

Why, that's the victory of populism of course and my latest
political incarnation.

Antonia x 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Antonia Writes. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig