Friday 25 May 2018

THREE YEARS LATER



It feels utterly surreal to report that I have finished my undergraduate degree. Hallelujah! 

Three years of my life have passed in what feels like the blink of an eye. I've really enjoyed studying, I've loved my independence, I've met some unforgettable people and I've experienced some lovely times, although I'd be lying if I said these last three years have been completely plain sailing! They haven't. They've been tough and I've been pushed to my limits. But all this time, I've been constantly reminding myself of my favourite expression of all time, ''this too shall pass.'' All the bad times were tough in the moment but they eventually did pass and things got better. And as for the amazing experience of university itself, it was great in the moment but like all good things, it has passed and I for one, am feeling really nostalgic about it all. 

Opting for further study at university turned out to be the best decision I have ever made. It's made me realise how certain of the fact that a career in journalism is what I want in life. I look at things with a completely new way of thinking. I'm far more critical of the way in which the world is presented as self-evident for starters and it's really important to do so, because challenging dominant established orders or ways of doing things is the first step for making change happen (like gender equality for example.)

My university experience has doubtlessly helped to develop my confidence to be vocal with my opinions on current affairs and politics. That's not to say that I never had opinions on what was going on in the world before my university experience, but rather I have a new found confidence to really articulate those opinions and to stand my own in a debate. I think that confidence has really transcended into my writing style too. I always anticipated that preparing for my  final exams would be the most intellectually demanding period of my life so far. But I would like to think that I demonstrated that I am a critical thinker and that I can write the hell out of my own arguments. That's certainly a world apart from the far more meek and 'sit on the fence' type of approach I would sometimes adopt in essay writing in my first year. 

I have discovered that living away from your parents isn't as scary as I first thought it was. Coming from a very close family, I perceived the new found distance between us to be the greatest challenge that I would face at university. And truthfully, it was really easy to adjust to (sorry, Mum!) Of course, I had tough days when all I wanted was a hug from my Mum or my brother by my side to cheer me up. But I got through it and found that the friends you make at university quickly fill the shoes of your family, which makes the distance from your real family less of a challenge. 

But that said, the intensity of the university environment can be really difficult to adjust to as well. Being thrown into a world which is lacking in familiar faces, ultimately means that you spend all of your time with a small group of people (particularly in first year) in order to establish friendships. But the pure intensity of that environment can be quite challenging and paradoxically, it can feel quite lonely too as you struggle to find out where you fit in with university life. 

It's also been challenging to come face to face with my own mental health demons. I've experienced anxiety since my GCSEs but the sheer weight of those feelings were easily masked by the fact I had my supportive family, friends and teachers physically there to help me deal with any difficult emotions I had. So it was a huge shock to be placed in an environment where you truly must learn to be independent and to deal with things more or less by yourself, particularly in first year when you are only just beginning to trust people and get to know them. 

It's been horrendous at times. I've felt suffocated by my own feelings and utterly powerless to stop them from unravelling into something bigger than me and beyond my understanding. But each time, I've bounced back and emerged stronger from particularly bad episodes I've experienced. 

Above all, going to university has made me realise that it is not for everyone, nor is it a decision which should be taken lightly; three years of your life is a huge intellectual and emotional commitment to make after-all. But I am so glad that I opted to have this experience and I have absolutely loved living in Birmingham. It's a city which has given me so much and I am walking away with such lovely memories which will stay with me for life. Well, I'm not walking away quite yet; I've loved my experience so much that I have applied to do a Master's degree at UOB this September!

I've enjoyed the last three years so much and it will be strange to say goodbye to some of the people who have been there with me since day one. But I'm truly excited to see what the future brings for them (grad schemes and the scary world of adulting mainly!) and to throw myself into what will most likely be my final year of studying...

Antonia x 



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Antonia Writes. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig